Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
201 Dental Science Bldg S
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1001
Phone: (319) 335-7479
Fax: (319) 353-5508
Program Length and Number of Positions
This is a 24-month program commencing July 1 of each year. Five positions are offered each year; all with stipends.
University based program awarding a Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry (24 months).
The application deadline is September 15 of the year preceding matriculation. Correspondence regarding application and admission procedures should be addressed to Dr. Matthew Geneser, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, College of Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program in Pediatric Dentistry fulfills the requirements for advanced education in pediatric dentistry as approved by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Dental Association. Upon completion of the program, the student meets all eligibility requirements for the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry.
The program addresses all aspects of contemporary pediatric dentistry. Furthermore, the program has been designed to emphasize development in the following areas:
- Leadership skills.
- The development of confidence in rendering dental services in a hospital environment and in understanding the needs and managing the treatment of children with special health care needs.
- The development of an intellectually self-confident, independent, adaptable pediatric dentist with skills that make them effective agents of change at local, regional and national levels.
The curriculum for Iowa’s advanced specialty education program in Pediatric Dentistry is designed to exceed the educational requirements set forth in the Accreditation Standards for Advanced Specialty Education Programs. Residents participate in seminars, lectures and clinics in preparation for successful program completion and preparation to sit for the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry’s board exam.
Other aspects of the curriculum include a rotation in pediatrics and pediatric acute care; pediatric physical diagnosis; a rotation in anesthesia; cephalometrics; and orthodontic diagnosis and treatment. There is a core of courses that have been designed to help acquaint the pediatric graduate student with research design and methodology.
Additionally, any student desiring a consultative or supervised relationship with dental educators in other specialties will find that such arrangements can be made. Extramural experience is afforded by participation in consultative clinics in various Iowa communities.
Program Stipend and Tuition
First-year - at least $30,000
Second-year - stipend at least $32,000
Tuition and Instrument Management fees, paid by Department.
*Tuition and stipends can only be awarded to citizens of the United States.
- Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Iowa College of Dentistry
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Center for Disabilities and Development
- Dow's Institute of Dental Research
- Additional community dental clinics
Applicants must have available the following items to be considered for admission.
- D.D.S., D.M.D. or non-U.S. equivalent.
- PASS application. The application can be requested from email@example.com or for more information go the PASS Application Services Web Site - http://www.aads.jhu.edu/docs/apply.html PASS Application Services has two phone lines for applicant inquiries: (202) 667-1886 and (202) 667-1887 or you may write to: PASS, 1625 Massachusetts Ave, N.W., Washington DC. 20036-2212.
- Personal interview - by invitation.
- NBDE - part I and II (part I prior to interview).
- MATCH number. This can be requested through the website http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/.
- Extensive training with patients with special health care needs.
- Fundamental knowledge of the philosophy, principles and practices of dental public health.
- Strong research opportunities and nationally recognized didactic training.
- Contemporary clinical facilities with close working relationship with the Department of Pediatrics and other medical services.
- Well trained auxiliary staff.
- Faculty with diverse research/scholarly interests.
- Tradition in excellence.
*Erik Balster, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
Jeffrey Banas, Ph.D., Professor
Cynthia K. Christensen, D.D.S., M.S., Associate Professor Emeritus
Deborah V. Dawson, B.A., Sc.M., Ph.D., Professor
*Annalee P. Fencl, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*Matthew K. Geneser, D.D.S., Clinical Assistant Professor and Graduate Program Director
Gayle Gilbaugh, B.S., R.D.H., Program Associate
*Natalie Ghosheh, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*Polly Iben, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*David C. Johnsen, D.D.S., M.S., Dean, Professor
*Jarod W. Johnson, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor
*Michael J. Kanellis, D.D.S., M.S., Professor
Steven M. Kelly, D.D.S., M.S., Visiting Assistant Professor
*Kecia S. Leary, D.D.S., M.S., Clinical Associate Professor
*Steven M. Leifker, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*Tad Mabry, D.D.S., M.S., Clinical Associate Professor
*Michael Mathews, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*Thomas Maurice, D.D.S., M.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
*Arthur J. Nowak, D.M.D., M.A., Professor Emeritus
*Arwa Owais, B.D.S., M.S., Associate Professor
*Diana M. Pelzer, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
Jimmy Pinkham, D.D.S., M.S., Professor Emeritus
*Matthew Pyfferoen, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
Edward Rick, D.D.S., M.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
M. Catherine Skotowski, B.S., R.D.H., M.S., Clinical Assistant Professor
*Michael Stufflebeam, D.D.S., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
Jerry Walker, D.D.S., M.A., Professor Emeritus
*Karin Weber-Gasparoni, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D., Associate Professor and Chair
*Gregory A. Weinberg, D.M.D., Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor
|Program Faculty:||7 Full-Time
6 FT Board Certified
|Program Length:||24 Total Months
July 1 Start Date
|State Licensure:||Restricted License Available|
|Number of Entering Positions:||5|
|Tuition In-State:||0 First Year
0 Second Year
|Tuition Out-Of-State:||0 First Year
0 Second Year
|Salary/Stipend:||30,000 First Year
32,000 Second Year
September 15 Deadline
|Participant in National
|Participant in PASS:||Yes|
|Only US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|US citizens from foreign dental
|Non-US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|Non-US citizens from foreign
dental schools considered:
|Acceptance Applicant Ratio:||1:32|
Infant Oral Health
|Research Requirement:||Data Collection Project|
|Teaching Experience:||1/2 Clinic Half-Days
2.5 Clinic Receptionist
10 Dental Assistants
2 Dental Hygienists