M.Sc./Ph.D in Craniofacial Science with Diploma in Pediatric Dentistry
University of British Columbia (UBC)
Faculty of Dentistry, Graduate Program in Pediatric Dentistry
2199 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia, British Columbia V6T 1Z3
Phone: (60) 875-2345 X7067
Fax: (604) 875-2812
Program Length and Number of Positions
The MSc Program is 36 months and the Ph.D option is 72 months in duration. Three students are accepted each year and the Program begins in the third week of August.
Combined university and hospital based degree program. Students must pursue either a MSc or PhD in Craniofacial Science concurrently with the Diploma in Pediatric Dentistry.
The application deadline is October 1 of the year preceding entry into the program. Correspondence regarding application and admissions procedures should be addressed to:
Mrs. Viki Beretanos Koulouis, Manager, Graduate Studies, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of British Columbia, 2199 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z3, Canada. Phone: (604) 822-4486 or Fax: (604) 822-3562, or:
Ms. Theresa Burns, Graduate Studies Secretary, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of British Columbia, 2199 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z3, Canada. Phone: (604) 822-8494 or Fax: (604) 822-3562
Applications are made online through the Faculty of Graduate Studies or the Faculty of Dentistry, UBC
The MSc/Diploma program is a 36 month program. The first year of the Program is university based with the hospital becoming a significant component of the training in second and third year. Trainees will develop the clinical skills needed to treat healthy, medically compromised and developmentally delayed children and adolescents. Students are expected to carry out a significant research project in biomedical, clinical or health services areas. Protected research time has been allocated throughout the program.
The PhD/Diploma program is a 72 month program that allows students to focus on their research in years 2-4 and then to complete clinical training in years 5 and 6.
The combination of clinical, teaching and research experience in our program will prepare graduates for careers in private practice, hospital, community and academic settings. The MSc/ PhD degree and diploma are awarded concurrently. With successful completion of the Program, students will be prepared for the National Dental Specialty Examination in Pediatric Dentistry for Royal College of Dentists of Canada Fellowship and the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry examinations.
The academic course work includes the following topics: child development, management of pediatric oral disease, behavior management (non-pharmacological and pharmacological), craniofacial growth and development, orthodontics, traumatic injuries, pediatric medicine, biomaterials, oral pathology, speech/language pathology, biostatistics and research design. Learning will be done in seminars and case conferences.
M.Sc. and PhD. thesis preparation and submission follow present guidelines set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Please see www.grad.ubc.ca/studies/thesis.
Students will complete rotations in Anesthesiology, Hematology/Oncology and Emergency Department at BC Children’s Hospital. Pediatric Medicine rotations will take place in community practices of hospital-affiliated pediatricians. Students will also participate in the Cleft Palate/Craniofacial and Hemophilia Clinics. Elective rotations may be scheduled in other hospital departments. The graduate students will provide after hours emergency coverage on a rotating basis at BCCH, roughly one week out of four, beginning late in the first year of the program. Throughout the program, there may be opportunities to do external rotations in clinics in the local community, northern health care centers and private practices.
Program Stipend and Tuition
The first year M.Sc. and PhD tuition is composed of three components: Degree tuition + Diploma tuition are currently $16,404.15 and Program Clinic Fee is currently $30,142.84. The total first year fee, including licenses and incidental fee is $48,020.13 CDN. The Program Clinic Fee is only charged in year 1 of the MSc/PhD Diploma programs. PhD students will be paid a stipend of $30,000 per year for research intensive years 2 to 4 and $10,000 per year in years 5 and 6. An entrance scholarship may be available for Year 1 students and a Hospital Foundation Clinical Fellowship Stipend may be available for the second year of the program for MSc to help offset some of the tuition costs. For further information see: http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Education/Grad/MSc/Clinical/Pediatrics/ProgramDetails.asp
Students are also expected to purchase a digital camera and both regular pediatric and precordial stethoscopes.
- Nobel Biocare Oral Health Centre, Faculty of Dentistry, UBC
- Department of Pediatric Dentistry, BC Children’s Hospital
- Robert & Lily Lee Family Community Health Centre Dental Clinic, Vancouver Coastal Health, Vancouver
- Admission to the program must satisfy the requirements for admission to the Faculties of Graduate Studies and Dentistry.
- Applicants must hold a Doctor of Dental Surgery or Dental Medicine or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Fluency in the English language is required. The minimum TOEFL score for graduates from a country where English is not the primary language is 580 paper-based or 93 internet-based within the last 2 years.
- Preference is given to students with at least one year of experience in either a GPR or clinical practice.
- Completion of the application form through the Faculty of Graduate Studies, UBC. A completed application includes 3 references, transcripts from all previous degrees, degree certificates, personal statement as well as the application form and application fee. Reference letters, degree certificates, translations if required, and transcripts should be sent directly from the source in sealed and endorsed official envelopes.
- Short-listed applicants will be interviewed in October-November and offers will be made at the latest by mid-December.
- Eligibility for registration as a dentist in the Province of British Columbia is not a requirement for acceptance into the Graduate Program. Successful completion of the Program does not of itself confer eligibility for registration. Applicants are referred to The Registrar, The College of Dental Surgeons of B.C.
- This innovative, fully integrated University and Hospital-based program began in August 2010 and was fully accredited in 2013 by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC).
- University of British Columbia and BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) are world renowned for excellence in research.
- The Nobel Biocare Oral Health Centre at UBC uses state-of-the-art technology and an innovative architectural design to create a sophisticated, efficient space for learning, community service and research. A new Graduate Specialty Clinic, customized to the clinical needs of the specialty programs, is slated to open in late 2014.
- BCCH is the tertiary care hospital serving the children of British Columbia and all patients born with craniofacial abnormalities are referred here. The Ambulatory care clinic and dental operating room are newly equipped (2009). Construction of the new Acute Care Children’s Hospital on the existing site is underway,slated to open in 2018.
- The program is based in a non-fluoridated community and serves a large population of children with high dental needs.
- Pediatric Dentistry is part of a full complement of specialties offered at UBC including Orthodontics, Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics and Oral Medicine/Oral Pathology. Graduate students will have unique opportunities to provide interdisciplinary care for their patients.
- Pediatric Dentistry students will work along side with the Orthodontic Specialty students throughout their program. The coordinator of the Orthodontic module has dual training in Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics.
- Students will have extensive experience treating children under general anesthesia and sedation.
- Patient care experiences will include an excellent balance of healthy children and those with co-morbidities.
- Vancouver is consistently rated as one of the most livable cities in the world with a mild climate and outstanding recreational opportunities.
Dr. Donald Brunette, BSc, MSc, PhD, Professor
Dr. Karen Campbell, DDS, MSc, FRCD(C), Certified Pediatric Dentist, Clinical Associate Professor and Director, Graduate Program in Pediatric Dentistry; Chief of Dentistry, BC Children’s Hospital
Dr. Brian Chanpong, DDS, MSc, (Dental Anesthesiology), Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. WaSham Cheung DDS, Certified Pediatric Dentist, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Pamela Glassby, DDS, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Markus Haapasalo, DDS, PhD, Certified Endodontist, Professor
Dr. Rosamund Harrison, DMD, MSc, MRCD(C), Certified Pediatric Dentist, Professor
Dr. David Kennedy, DMD, Certified Orthodontist, Clinical Professor
Dr. Christine Kim, DMD, MSc, FRCD(C)
Dr. Leora Kuttner, PhD, Psychologist, Clinical Professor
Dr. David MacDonald, BDS, BSc(Hons.), LLB(Hons.), MSc, DDS(EDIN.), FDSRCPS(Glasg.), DDRRCR(UK), FRCD(C), Certified Oral Radiologist, Associate Professor
Dr. Kavita Mathu-Muju, DMD, MSc FRCD(C) Certified Pediatric Dentist and Assistant Professor
Dr. Joy Richman, DMD, MDentSci, PhD, Certified Pediatric Dentist, Professor
Dr. HsingChi von Bergmann, Associate Professor
Dr. Eli Whitney, BSc, DDS, FRCD(C), Certified Specialist in Oral Medicine and Pathology, Assistant Professor
Dr. Edwin Yen, DDS, PhD, Certified Orthodontist, Professor
Dr. Sepehr Zahedi, DDS, MSc (Dental Anesthesiology) Clinical Assistant Professor
|Program Faculty:||4 Full-Time
|Program Length:||36 months for MSc option, 72 months for PhD Total Months
2nd week of August Start Date
|State Licensure:||Restricted License Available
Restricted educational license available for pract
|Number of Entering Positions:||4 (minimum one international candidate/year)|
|Tuition In-State:||48,020 First Year
16,732 Second Year
17,066 Third Year
|Salary/Stipend:||0 First Year
Possible Clinical Fellowship Stipend Second Year
Possibly Third Year
|Application:||$ 90 CDN/$150 CDN international Fee
October 1 Deadline
|Participant in National
|Participant in PASS:||No|
|Only US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|US citizens from foreign dental
|Non-US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|Non-US citizens from foreign
dental schools considered:
|Acceptance Applicant Ratio:||4:26|
|Teaching Experience:||30 Clinic Half-Days
3 Clinic Receptionist
4.5 Dental Assistants
1 Dental Hygienists