We salute the dedication, courage, and heart shown by our members around the country, and the staff of the AAPD who have rallied to help our members and the children they treat during this national crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Pediatric dentists, as well as patients and their families, looked to the AAPD for guidance, resources and advocacy during the pandemic. The Academy provided regular updates on:
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan opportunities: The Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) and the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) created under the CARES Act.
- Application process for HRSA CARES Act Provider Relief Funds.
- Developments in tele-dentistry, including state regulations, protocols, policies on covered benefits, and use of procedure codes.
- Continual updates on how public and private insurers were managing the pandemic, including emergency assistance and financial support to dental practices.
- Ongoing communication with third-party payers with recommendations on the adaptation of reimbursement procedures important to dentists and patients.
I believe this past year has shown us how important we are to each other. As dentists, we thrive on fellowships. None of us has faced the challenges of the past year alone. The heart of our academy is concern for all our members and the children we treat. Now it is time to go forward, to take the good things we’ve learned, and to share our heart. In the coming year, we will work together to mentor new dentists and to advocate for our patients.
The AAPD Presidential Task Force on Equity and Inclusion provided recommendations on ways to strengthen our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. One of the starting points is to better understand the demographics of our membership. As you review your contact information, we would like you to consider completing the “Race/Ethnicity” Demographics in the Personal Information section of your member profile.
The Hub virtual annual session was very successful but we are very excited to celebrate our history and future in person next year at our 75th anniversary in San Diego on May 21-24, 2022.
I am very proud of the AAPD and all it does for the pediatric dental profession, as well as the children we serve. It is the support of you, our members, that makes it all possible. We are stronger together! Let’s make it a great year!
Jeannie Beauchamp, D.D.S.