The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Strategic Plan
Optimal oral health for all children.
To advance optimal oral health for all children by delivering outstanding service that meets and exceeds the needs and expectations of our members, partners, and stakeholders.
Our members put children first in everything they do, and at the highest standards of ethics and patient safety. As such, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry is THE leading national advocate dedicated exclusively to children’s oral health. We are the embodiment of our members’ expertise as the big authorities on little teeth.
We equip our members and all other providers with data, knowledge, competencies, and skills to provide safe, highquality, evidence-based patient care in the context of a dental home.
- Provide and promote continuing clinical education that meets the changing needs of patients and their caregivers.
- Use the authority and expertise of our members to advocate for patient safety, improved outcomes, and intelligent regulatory oversight.
- Invest in pre- and post-doctoral education by supporting training programs, advising accreditation boards, and sponsoring programs to enhance success throughout their career.
Patient Care and Access
We help members address barriers to care, such as parent oral health literacy and affordability; reduce administrative burdens for payment/reimbursement; and invest in community-based initiatives providing care to underserved children.
- Support research that identifies the scope of dental need in the U.S. and supports the best clinical practices for patient care.
- Advocate for legislative reforms to reduce the administrative complexity of reimbursement for dental treatment.
- Support and promote programs that provide care to those in need.
Workforce and Practice Transformation
We support the pediatric dental workforce, expanding its reach and to better address children’s oral health needs. We develop practical tools and resources to help all members in any practice setting build and sustain high-functioning dental care practices to the benefit of their patients and their communities.
- Support research to examine the distribution and profiles of providers, to help members make informed decisions about their practices.
- Develop and provide tools that enable our members in all practice settings to provide optimal care.
- Offer education courses in non-clinical areas of dental practice.
- Assist members in achieving a healthy work-life balance so they can enjoy a sustained career in pediatric dentistry.
- Provide opportunities to develop leadership skills that will help our members in their practice as well as in volunteer positions in the AAPD.
- Sponsor programs to manage student debt.
We take a solutions-based approach to educating the broader dental profession, local, state, and national policy makers, and consumers/parents about critical issues affecting child oral health in the United States.
- Advise and influence public policy through direct advocacy as well as by training members to be advocates in their practices and their communities.
- Educate the public on key children’s oral health topics through public service messages, media interviews by AAPD-trained spokespersons, contributions to parent blogs, and other communication opportunities as they occur.
- Help members to exchange information on legislative issues.
- Exchange information with other healthcare and children’s organizations.
We maintain organizational effectiveness by meeting and exceeding accepted professional association management standards.
- Nurture an efficient and effective governance structure that incorporates a variety of experiences so that all viewpoints are represented. The structure creates a network of experts so that AAPD can quickly respond to emerging issues.
- Help volunteer leadership concentrate on issues by providing full administrative support and strategic advice.
- Coordinate marketing and public relations for a consistent message to members and the public.
- Select and develop the best talent.
- Provide solid financial analysis and direction for all activities of the AAPD.