Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa – TRV) Application Information

Most foreign nationals require a Visitor Visa (also known as a Temporary Resident Visa - TRV) to travel to Canada.  

IMPORTANT: Please submit your full name and visa application number to AAPD once it is available so it can be shared with the IRCC and its processing centers.

If you don’t require a Visitor Visa, confirm if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveler’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

You may need to bring with you the documents you submitted with your visa application or present additional documents to the border services officer on arrival in Canada.

It is important that international invitees are familiar with the Visitor Visa (TRV) and eTA application processes. Understanding the different processes will contribute to ensuring that invitees to events in Canada have a smooth application experience.