The AAPD is pleased that the federal Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) has awarded 10 dental schools or pediatric dental residency programs grants for faculty loan repayment. Thanks to AAPD advocacy efforts that obtained both FY 2017 federal funding and favorable Congressional report language, $884,000 in total was awarded with a preference for pediatric dental faculty members . The loan repayment program extends for five years, repaying a higher amount each year so long as the benefitted individual remains a full-time faculty member.2
The 10 awardees are:
- Loma Linda University (Loma Linda, Calif.)
- Howard University (Washington, D.C.)
- Augusta University (Augusta, Ga.)
- Nicklaus Children’s Hospital of Miami (Miami, Fl.)
- University of Illinois-Chicago (Chicago, Ill.)
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- University of Mississippi (Jackson, Miss.)
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital (New York, N.Y.)
- Children’s Hospital of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- University of Tennessee (Memphis, Tenn.)
Each awardee program will administer the loan repayment and identify the individual recipient (s) of such funds. All 10 awardees met the preference for pediatric dental faculty. The AAPD will be profiling some of the individual pediatric dental faculty benefitting from this program in future communications.
For more information about AAPD Title VII advocacy: C. Scott Litch, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel (email@example.com).
For more information about HRSA Title VII dental grant opportunities: Scott Dalhouse, Educational Affairs Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1These are defined in HRSA’s Notice of Funding Opportunity as individuals who have completed a pediatric dental residency, have an appointment in a division or department of pediatric dentistry, and who teach in the field of pediatric dentistry at either the predoctoral or postdoctoral residency level.
2The institution will use grant funds to pay an amount equal to 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 percent of the student loan balance, upon completion of each year of service.