La Clinica Dental at Children's Hospital
4881 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609
Phone: (510) 428-3316
Program Length and Number of Positions
This is a 24-month program beginning July 1 of each year. Two new positions are offered each year.
Combined university- and hospital-based certificate program.
The application deadline is September 15 of the year preceding matriculation.
MUST have either a master's level degree (ex. MS, PhD) or completed advanced education training (ex. residency program, AEGD, GPR) prior to the start of the program
- Hold a DDS, DMD or equivalent degree from a U.S. dental school accredited by the American Dental Association
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Take and pass the National Board Exam, Parts I & II
There are three steps to the application process:
- Submit your application through the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS). Complete your application by the deadline posted on the PASS website. You must include the following: personal essay, curriculum vitae (CV), official dental school transcript, all undergraduate transcripts, three PASS evaluation forms (PEFs), dean's institution evaluation and all required scores.
- Register with the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program to obtain a match code number, which you must submit through the PASS applications. The Matching Program is a centralized selection service that matches applicants to programs.
- Following submission of the PASS application, submit the nonrefundable application processing fee ($60 for domestic applicants, $80 for international applicants) through the UCSF application fee portal.
The 2-year program is identical to that of 3-year program from clinical training, rotations, and didactics perspectives, except residents in 2-year program do not require concurrent enrollment in the M.S. degree program. Candidates for the 2-Year Residency Program MUST have either a master's level degree (ex. MS, PhD) or completed advanced education training (ex. residency program, AEGD, GPR) prior to the start of the program. Research or scholarly activities are required while in residency program. The majority of their clinical training will take place at La Clinica Oakland and Benioff Children’s Hospital, Oakland. Didactic training will take place at Parnassus campus via in-person or teleconferences.
A Certificate of Advanced Education in Pediatric Dentistry is awarded upon satisfactory completion of the postdoctoral program. Graduates are educationally eligible for examinations by the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry.
Instruction in all areas of pediatric dentistry is provided through lectures, seminars and clinical experience in clinic and hospital operating rooms. A special emphasis is placed on the basic sciences and the relationship of pediatric dentistry to all other areas of dentistry and medicine. All postgraduate professional students will complete a core curriculum, which includes courses in: biostatistics, biomaterials, developmental biology, oral pathology, behavioral sciences, pharmacology, genetics and medical ethics.
Clinical rotations include: anesthesia, emergency, orthodontics and pediatrics. The presence of the divisions of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Anomalies within the department leads to strong ties and education in these areas. Student teaching is an integral part of the clinical program.
Students are required to complete either a research project under the supervision of a faculty member or a properly documented clinical research project resulting in a manuscript ready for submission to a refereed journal.
Program Stipend and Tuition
First-year stipend is $58,950. Second-year stipend is $60,904. First and second-year tuition rates are waived. $4,500 annual professional fee.
- La Clinica Dental at Children's Hospital
- UCSF Ambulatory Surgery Center
- UCSF Children’s Hospital
- Children's Hospital at Oakland
- D.D.S., D.M.D. or equivalent
- Official dental and preprofessional education transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official National Board Dental Examination results, Part 1 and Part 2
- Biographical statement
- Curriculum vitae
- TOEFL scores for applicants whose first language is not English (foreign graduates are admitted under very limited circumstances)
- Participation with PASS
- UCSF supplemental application
- Application fee ($60)
- Full range of learning opportunities, including a hospital environment found at the UCSF Children’s Hospital and Oakland Children's Hospital
- Academically-based environment and resources available at the UCSF Parnassus Campus
Ray Stewart, D.M.D., M.S.*
Thuan Q Le, D.D.S, Ph.D.
Ling Zhan, D.D.D, Ph.D.
Brent P. Lin, D.M.D
Raymond L. Braham, B.D.S., L.D.S.R.C.S., M.Sc.D.
Edward A. Rothman, D.D.S.*
Michael Suh, D.D.S.*
|Program Faculty:||7 Full-Time
4 Board Certified
|Program Length:||July 1 Start Date|
|State Licensure:||Not required|
|Number of Entering Positions:||2|
|Tuition In-State:||4,500 annual professional fee|
|Tuition Out-Of-State:||4,500 annual professional fee|
|Salary/Stipend:||58,950 First Year
60,904 Second Year
|Application:||$60 domestic, $80 international
Sept 15 Deadline
|Participant in National
|Participant in PASS:||Yes|
|Only US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|US citizens from foreign dental
|Non-US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|Non-US citizens from foreign
dental schools considered:
|Acceptance Applicant Ratio:|
Infant Oral Health
Minimal and Moderate Sedations
Special Healthcare Needs
|Research Requirement:||Data Collection Project|
|Teaching Experience:||Yes Clinic Half-Days
7 Clinic Receptionist
14 Dental Assistants
0 Dental Hygienists