NYU Langone Yakima
ViewCrest Pediatric Dentistry
2205 West Lincoln Ave
Yakima, Washington 98902
Program Length and Number of Positions
This is a 24-month program beginning July 1 of each year. Three positions are available per year at the Yakima site. Orientation will begin on July 1.
Combined Community Clinic-based/Hospital-affiliated certificate program.
NYU Langone Yakima participates in PASS and MATCH. The deadline is August 15th of the year prior to the July 1 start date.
NYU Langone Yakima provides care to the children of the Yakima Valley in central Washington at its two pediatric dental clinic sites ViewCrest Pediatric Dentistry (http://www.yvfwc.com/locations/lincoln-avenue-medical-dental-center) and Children's Village Pediatric Dentistry (https://www.yakimachildrensvillage.org). Both sites offer clinical experience in all aspects of pediatric dentistry, modern facilities, and dental assistants and hygienists.. Residents also provide care in the OR and in the ED at Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital (https://www.yakimamemorial.org/).
In addition to a robust clinical experience, residents have seminars via teleconference with the other NYU Langone Pediatric Dental Residency sites, online asynchronous learning modules, local classes on all aspects of pediatric dentistry, local literature review, and local case presentations. There are 4 faculty and 6 residents, providing a favorable faculty to resident ratio.
The program is a 24 month CODA-accredited training program. Upon successful completion of all requirements, the resident is awarded a Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry and meets the advanced education eligibility requirements of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. This program commences on July 1 of each year.
Didactic training consists of seminars via teleconference with the other NYU Langone Pediatric Dental Residency sites, online asynchronous learning modules, local classes on all aspects of pediatric dentistry, local literature review, and local case presentations.
Clinical training consists of clinical experience in all aspects of pediatric dentistry; preventive care, restorative treatment, pulp therapy, non-pharmacological behavior guidance, nitrous oxide, management of the developing dentition, oral sedation, in office general anesthesia, OR dentistry, trauma, and the care of children with special health care needs.
Rotations include anesthesia, emergency medicine, outpatient pediatrics, inpatient pediatrics, cardiology, cleft lip and palate team, genetics, developmental behavioral pediatrics, and autism spectrum diagnostic clinic.
Program Stipend and Tuition
- ViewCrest Pediatric Dentistry
- Children’s Village
- Virginia Mason Memorial Hospital
- Community Health of Central Washington
- D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree from an ADA-accredited American or Canadian dental school
- Must be eligible for the WA resident dental license
- Must have passed Part I of National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) prior to application and Part II by start of residency
- ADAT is not required
- Dental transcripts through PASS
- Three Professional Evaluation Forms (PEF) through PASS
- All candidates must be proficient/fluent in the English language
- PASS application & MATCH number
- Personal interview (upon invitation)
- Be a U.S. or Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Completion of dental school or current residency in good standing by start of the program (July 1st)
- Must live within 20 minutes of health center by start of residency to respond to after-hours emergency calls
- Strong didactic education and clinical experience in pediatric dentistry
- Extensive experience in caring for children with special health care needs
- Significant general anesthesia experience
- Modern clinical facilities
- Well-rounded training in the use of pharmacological and non pharmacological behavior guidance
- Dental assistants at all times
- Faculty to resident ratio (4 faculty & 6 residents)
Daniel Kane, DMD, MA* Program Director
Jessica Webb, DDS, MSD, MA, MSRT, CTRS* Associate Program Director
Joe Wilson, DMD*
Jessica Kennedy, DDS*
J. David Purcell, DDS
|Program Faculty:||4 Full-Time
4 Board Certified
|Program Length:||24 Total Months
July 1 Start Date
|State Licensure Required to
|Number of Entering Positions:||3|
|Application:||August 15 Deadline|
|Participant in National
|Participant in PASS:||Yes|
|Only US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|US citizens from foreign dental
|Non-US citizens from ADA
accredited dental schools
|Non-US citizens from foreign
dental schools considered:
|Acceptance Applicant Ratio:|
Infant Oral Health
Minimal and Moderate Sedations
Special Health Care Needs
|Research Requirement:||Data Collection Project|
|Teaching Experience:||1 Lecture/Presentation|
3 Clinic Receptionist
17 Dental Assistants
2 Dental Hygienists