This document outlines expectations for workgroup chairs of any of the workgroups in the Evidence-Based Dentistry committee at the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD). This will include requirements, time commitment and a summary of expectations.
Workgroup chairs are expected to:
- Lead regular workgroup meetings.
- Set timeline for systematic review or clinical practice guideline.
- Collaborate with other workgroup members on data extraction and review of journal articles.
- Assign components of a systematic review or clinical practice guidelines to members of the workgroup to work on.
- Provide expertise on a clinical area on a topic covered in the systematic review or clinical practice guideline.
- Review/evaluate any existing guidelines and systematic reviews as appropriate.
- Select studies for full-text retrieval and extraction / Extract (Cochrane form) for each study selected. Perform evidence synthesis: Meta-analysis or Narrative synthesis.
- Grade Evidence (based on GRADE criteria – Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation).
- Draft meeting agendas for monthly meetings and for AAPD Annual Session.
- Write components of the systematic review or clinical practice guidelines.
- Demonstrate personal integrity in all interactions.
- Develop a research protocol that includes PICO clinical questions.
- Modify guidelines according to external review recommendations.
- Communicate orally and in writing clearly and logically.
- Participation in either the ADA EBD workshop or the AAPD EBD workshop is required prior to leading a workgroup.
- Previous experience in working on systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines is required.
- Sign AAPD Volunteer Leader Agreement Form to ensure copyright compliance, conflict of interest, and ensure data, recommendations, or drafts are kept confidential until publication.
- Attendance at AAPD Annual is required in-person unless there are unforeseen personal circumstances.
- Workgroup chairs will serve terms of variable length, from appointment at the initiation of the guideline development process until completion of their assigned guideline.
- Workgroup Meetings: 2-3 hours a month. Meetings may take place on the weekend depending on volunteer schedules.
- Article Reviews: 3-7 hours a week. Reviewing articles may take place over a 1–2-month period depending on the volume of literature.
- Data Extraction: 4-10 hours a week. Data extraction may take place over a 2-6-month period depending on the volume of data extracted.
- Drafting Recommendation Statements: 5-7 hours per recommendation. Drafting recommendations may take place over a 1-2-month period.
- Reviewing Recommendation Statements: 2-4 hours per recommendation. Reviewing recommendations may take place over a 1–2-month period.
- Writing Components: 5-10 hours per assignment. Writing components may take place over a 1–2-month period.
*Time commitment may be subject to change, depending on workgroup need or project progress.
Failure to achieve these performance requirements above may result in dismissal from the workgroup.