In 2012 the AAPD revised their current fellow status. Previously fellow status was automatically granted when you became board certified as a pediatric dentists. While board certification is a great accomplishment many members have contacted the AAPD wanting to know what they could do to further their professional distinction in the field of pediatric dentistry.
The term fellow in a professional association often refers to a person who has distinguished themselves above the standard norm, either by publications or contributions to the profession. Prior to 2012 when an AAPD member became board certified by the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry as a diplomate, they were automatically awarded the membership status of fellow in AAPD.
Starting in 2013, fellow status was no longer automatically granted to board-certified pediatric dentists. We introduced the new fellow program that will offer our members an opportunity to further distinguish themselves in the profession. Members who received their board certification in 201,32014, 2015, 2016 etc. have an opportunity to earn their fellow status in this new program.
Members who were board certified prior 2012 or prior will receive fellow status through June 2017. Renew by October 1, 2017.
Activites between 2012-2017 are eligible for the recertification of fellow status.
How to Become a Fellow of AAPD (FAAPD)
Below is an outline of requirements, point system, fees and renewal for the FAAPD program membership. Each FAAPD activity is assessed its own maximum point score to help determine candidates’ acceptance into the program.
- Recommendation letters from two current fellows. (Renewing Fellows do not need letters of recomendation)
- Board certification by ABPD.
- At least five consecutive years of AAPD Active Member membership.
All fellows must score 20 points or higher for consideration.
A new candidate must earn points in at least three out of four categories with a maximum of 12 points per category. Points are assigned to the different accomplishments in these categories so that it is fair and equal for all members. Only activities going back five years from the date of the application will be considered with the exception of published research articles that can go back up to 10 years. If a candidate serves on more than one council for the same organization or has attended multiple annual meetings, points can be awarded for each activity.
Point Values Categories
1. Active Membership in AAPD, State or District Unit
- One AAPD state unit meeting within the last five years( 1 points)
- One AAPD district unit meeting within the last five years (2 points)
- One annual AAPD meeting within the last five years (3 points)
- Serving on a council or committee in a state or district unit (2 points)
- Serving on a council or committee in AAPD (4 points)
- Chair of a council or committee in a state or district unit (4 points) chair of a council or committee in AAPD (6 points)
- State or district board of trustee or Executive Committee( 6 points)
- AAPD board of trustees or Executive Committee( 8 points)
- AAPD editorial board (4 points)
- Leadership Institute - Any cohort (6 points)
- Advanced Leadership Institute - Any cohort (4 points)
2. Organized Dentistry
- Leadership in ABPD, COD (4 points officer – 2 point - other)
- Leadership Roles in ADA, AGD, HDA, AAO, AAE , AAP, etc (4 points officer 2 points committee/other)
- Board Examiner (NERB (3 points)
- ABPD Examiner (3 points)
- State Dental Association involvement (1-3 points; committee member – Leadership roll)
- Local Dental Society involvement (1-3 points; committee member – Leadership roll)
3. Scholarly activity
- Publishing of articles as the first author (6 points) or co- author (3 points)
- Service as an attending in a hospital (3 points)
- Service as a full-time faculty (4 points) or part-time faculty (2 points)
- Participate in AAPD Journal CE Program (1point)
- Presenting at dental meeting - (1 point for every hour presenting)
4. Community involvement
- Volunteering at Head Start program (2 points)
- Volunteering at Health fairs, Give Kids a Smile (2 points)
- Volunteering at a community health center (2 points)
- Serving on a school board (1 point)
- Dental-related mission trip (5 points)
AAPD Fellow Program Membership Fees
First-Time Fellows One-time membership fee $200
Renewing Fellows Every five-year membership fee $100
Renewing Fellow Status
Fellows must renew every five years and must attain 15 points to maintain fellow status. Fellows must attain points from two different areas with a maximum of 12 points in each category. Current fellows will be grandfathered in and will have five years to renew and may use activities going back five years at the time of reapplying. Renewing Fellows do not need letters of recomendation.
If a fellow allows their fellowship status to lapse they must apply as a new fellow and attain 20 points to be considered.
When a member reaches Life Membership and has fellow status they no longer need to renew or pay fees and they are permanently a fellow.
Please contact AAPD Membership and Marketing Director Suzanne Wester for more details regarding this program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To download the application please click here.