In 2012 the AAPD revised their current fellow status to focus on leadership, scholarly activity and community involvement. Previously fellow status was automatically granted when you became board certified as a pediatric dentists. The term fellow in a professional association often refers to a person who has distinguished themselves above the standard norm, either by publications or contributions to the profession.
Starting in 2013, fellow status was no longer automatically granted to board-certified pediatric dentists. We introduced the new fellow program that will offer our members an opportunity to further distinguish themselves in the profession. Members who received their board certification in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 etc. have an opportunity to earn their fellow status in this new program.
How to Become a Fellow of AAPD (FAAPD)
Below is an outline of requirements, point system, fees and renewal for the FAAPD program membership. Each FAAPD activity is assessed its own maximum point score to help determine candidates’ acceptance into the program.
- Recommendation letters from two current fellows. (Renewing Fellows do not need letters of recommendation)
- Board certification by ABPD.
- At least five consecutive years of AAPD Active Member membership (Post Pediatric Dentistry Residency).
All fellows must score 20 points or higher for consideration.
A new candidate must earn points in at least three out of four categories with a maximum of 12 points per category. Points are assigned to the different accomplishments in these categories so that it is fair and equal for all members. Only activities going back five years from the date of the application will be considered with the exception of published research articles that can go back up to 10 years. If a candidate serves on more than one council for the same organization or has attended multiple annual meetings, points can be awarded for each activity.
Point Values Categories
Points are awarded for each year of participation
1. Active Membership in AAPD, HSHC, State or District Chapter
- � AAPD State Unit meeting within the last 5 years( 1 point per meeting)
- � AAPD District Unit meeting within the last 5 years (2 points per meeting)
- � AAPD meeting within the last 5 years (3 points per meeting )
- � Serving on a council or committee in a state or district unit (2 points per year)
- � Serving on a AAPD/HSHC council or committee in AAPD (4 points per year)
- � Chair of a council or committee in a state or district unit (4 points per year)
- � Chair of a council or committee in AAPD/HSHC (6 points per year)
- � State or District Board of Trustee or Executive Committee( 6 points per year)
- � AAPD Board of Trustees or Executive Committee( 8 points per year)
- � AAPD Editorial Board (4 points per year)
- � Leadership Institute (6 points for full 3 year program)
- � Advanced Leadership Institute (4 points)
- � Public Policy Advocate – (2 points per year)
- � Dental Home Day – (2 point per year)
2. Organized Dentistry
- � Leadership in ABPD, COD – (4 points officer – 2 point - other)
- � Leadership Roles Organized Dentistry such as ADA, AGD, HDA, AAO, AAE , AAP, etc (4 points officer 2 points committee/other)
- � Board Examiner (NERB – (3 points)
- � ABPD Examiner - (3 points)
- � ABPD Test writer (3 points)
- � State Dental Board Examiner (3 point)
- � State Dental Association involvement – (1-committee member – Leadership role 3 points)
- � Local Dental Society involvement – (1-; committee member – Leadership rolel 3 point)
3. Scholarly activity
- Publishing of articles as the first author (6 points) or co- author (3 points)
- Service as an attending in a hospital (3 points)
- Service as a full-time faculty (4 points) or part-time faculty (2 points)
- Participate in AAPD Journal CE Program (1point)
- Presenting at dental meetings (1 point per hour of presentation)
- Advisory Board Membership to local community colleges Dental Assisting Program ( 2 points per year)
4. Community involvement
- � Volunteering at Head-Start Program– (2 points)
- � Volunteering at Health fairs, Give Kids a Smile – (2 points)
- � Volunteering at a Community Health Center- (2 points)
- � Serving on a School Board – (1 point)
- � Dental related mission trip – (5 points)
- � Presenting at a study club, mom’s club, or community meeting (1 point)
- � Leadership in community service organization (i.e. Girl/Boy Scouts) (2 points)
Please contact Suzanne Wester at email@example.com for additional questions regarding the activites or point value.
AAPD Fellow Program Membership Fees
First-Time Fellows One-time membership fee $200
Renewing Fellows Every five-year membership fee $100
Renewing Fellow Status
Fellows must renew every five years and must attain 15 points to maintain fellow status. Fellows must attain points from two different areas with a maximum of 12 points in each category. Current fellows will be grandfathered in and will have five years to renew and may use activities going back five years at the time of reapplying. Renewing Fellows do not need letters of recommendation.
If a fellow allows their fellowship status to lapse they must apply as a new fellow and attain 20 points to be considered.
When a member reaches Life Membership and has fellow status they no longer need to renew or pay fees and they are permanently a fellow.
Please contact AAPD Membership and Marketing Director Suzanne Wester for more details regarding this program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To download the application please click here.